Yayyyyyyy, let’s bid farewell to the month of May! It’s time to celebrate because guess what? MovieCity is about to turn another year older on June 3rd. Woo-hoo! We’re growing up like a clumsy baby giraffe trying to find its balance.
Oh, May, you’ve been quite the cinema rollercoaster! From the heart-pumping adventures of “Fast and Furious 10” to the sappy romance of “Love Again” and even a splashy revisit to our childhood with “The Little Mermaid,” there was something for everyone. Talk about a buffet of movies!
But hey, let’s not get too carried away reminiscing just yet. We need to keep our hopes up for next month, hoping it brings us an equally epic lineup. Fingers crossed for more explosions and humor.
Note, this list is not based on rankings
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3, Marvel’s action and adventure franchise was released on May 5, 2023. Here, our beloved band of misfits is looking a bit different these days. Peter Quill, still reeling from the loss of Gamora, must rally his team around him to defend the universe along with protecting one of their own. A mission that, if not completed successfully, could quite possibly lead to the end of the Guardians as we know them.
- The Little Mermaid: Disney’s long-awaited live-action family drama film was released on the 26th of May. “The Little Mermaid” is the beloved story of Ariel, a beautiful and spirited young mermaid with a thirst for adventure. The youngest of King Triton’s daughters and the most defiant, Ariel longs to find out more about the world beyond the sea and, while visiting the surface, falls for the dashing Prince Eric. While mermaids are forbidden to interact with humans, Ariel must follow her heart. She makes a deal with the evil sea witch, Ursula, who gives her a chance to experience life on land but ultimately places her life – and her father’s crown – in jeopardy.
- Fast X: This is an action thriller film from the Fast and Furious Franchise. It was released on the 19th of May. Over many missions and against impossible odds, Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his family have outsmarted, out-nerved, and outdriven every foe in their path. Now, they confront the most lethal opponent they’ve ever faced: A terrifying threat emerging from the shadows of the past who’s fueled by blood revenge, and who is determined to shatter this family and destroy everything–and everyone–that Dom loves, forever.
- Love Again: This is a romance film from Sony Pictures. It stars the singer Celine Dion and was released on the 5th of May. As its synopsis says, “What if a random text message led to the love of your life? In this romantic comedy, dealing with the loss of her fiancé, Mira Ray sends a series of romantic texts to his old cell phone number…not realizing the number was reassigned to Rob Burns’ new work phone. A journalist, Rob is captivated by the honesty in the beautifully confessional texts. When he’s assigned to write a profile of megastar Celine Dion (playing herself in her first film role), he enlists her help in figuring out how to meet Mira in person…and win her heart.”
- Hypnotic: This is a sci-fi thriller featuring Ben Affleck. It was directed by Robert Rodriguez and released on the 12th of May, 2023. Determined to find his missing daughter, Austin detective Danny Rourke finds himself spiraling down a rabbit hole investigating a series of reality-bending crimes where he will ultimately call into question his most basic assumptions about everything and everyone in his world. Aided by Diana Cruz, a gifted psychic, Rourke simultaneously pursues and is pursued by a lethal specter – the one man he believes holds the key to finding the missing girl – only to discover more than he ever bargained for.
- Blood and Gold: Directed by Peter Thorwarth, Blood and Gold is an Action, Drama, and War film released on the 26th of May on Netflix. At the bitter end of World War II, a German deserter and a young woman are drawn into a bloody battle with a group of Nazis hunting for hidden gold.
The image used in this work belongs to the respective movie and its copyright holders. We do not claim any legal rights or ownership over this image, and we appreciate the movie’s creators for sharing such a captivating visual.
Please sign up for our newsletter to be alerted when new content is published and also, don’t forget to leave your thoughts in the comment section.
Note : If you subscribe to our newsletter, the review sent to your email is automatically routed to the promotion mail area, but you can move it to your primary inbox by adding our email to your address book by clicking the ‘Add us to your address book‘ button at the end of our review email.